Managing on a day to day basis for continuity of performance
What are the “must do” things that every new manager needs to know?
In the day-to-day role of managing, the new manager needs to:
- Communicate (have at least a brief conversation with each of your people once a day and consider weekly team meetings)
- Keep up to date with organisational and work aspects that may affect the team – ensure you keep your people informed of these – this will help build trust and mitigate the effects of the grapevine
- Ensure harmony within the group or team is maintained – deal with any conflict immediately
- Be clear, decisive and consistent with your decisions – if you can’t make a decision or need to change one, tell your people why
- Address poor performance issues immediately and take appropriate steps to resolve them
- Above all, make sure you praise your people regularly for the good work they are doing
Tips for maintaining the continuity of your’s and the team’s performance
- Seek feedback on the effectiveness of your team meetings (regularly use the Team Process Evaluation Form - contact us for a copy).
- Ensure a regular item on your team meeting agenda is “What’s happening in the world outside of this team?”.
- Address any sign of conflict between team members as and when this arises rather than waiting for it to “clear up by itself” – it won’t!
- When you make a key decision that affects the team (after careful consideration and discussion), stick with it unless there is a compelling and fact-based reason for change. If you need to change your decision, make sure you tell your team why.
- When a person is not performing, hold an immediate discussion with him/her to find out why.
- Thank the team for the good work they are doing. Make sure you are specific and describe exactly their work you are praising.
About the Author - The National Learning Institute
This article is brought to you by the National Learning Institute. We provide resources, support and community for new managers. For more information please contact us!
Subscribe to our site
OVER 45,000 COPIES SOLD WORLDWIDE!
Become a Member
Become a member and receive the benefitsMembership is free and gives you access to 5 premium management tools, quick answers to your management problems from Bob Selden and a subscription to our newsletter.
Register New Account
Featured Member May:
Ian McMaster is Head of Learning & Development at BRC Partnership who assists leaders and managers to ask themselves the pertinent and essential questions so they can be more effective in their work.
Click here to read more about Ian McMaster